As president, I have had the opportunity to learn more about the stories, perspectives and passions of the leaders across Penn State who make what we do as a University possible. I am humbled to be able to call them my colleagues, and I am thankful for the vision that they bring to Penn State.

In a new video series titled “Perspective: Leaders at Penn State” — coming soon through Penn State News and Penn State Today — I invite you to learn more about some of the leaders who guide our University to achieve our collective educational, research and 21st century land-grant missions. What drives them? What passions brought them to where they are now? And how does their individual view of the world shape how they drive Penn State to the highest levels of excellence, innovation and impact across the world?

As we launch this series to showcase the unique perspectives and passions of some of Penn State’s academic deans, I encourage you to listen to and reflect on their stories — and to ask yourself, as I often have, ‘What can I learn from them? How can understanding their perspectives broaden my own, and help me look at the world through a new lens?’

No two of our leaders have the same story. No two look at the world in quite the same way. After all, no two Penn Staters share quite the same background or perspective. Every member of our community brings their whole self to Penn State: the roads they’ve walked, the obstacles they’ve overcome and the peaks they aspire to reach.

Every Penn Stater, including our deans and all of the University’s dedicated leaders, has a story and worldview that is their own. And each of them has a passion that fills their heart, buoys their spirit and drives their mind. In getting a glimpse into the insights they bring to these passions, we can better understand the insights and impact they bring to Penn State.

In my work, I have often found my horizons expanded by the perspectives of Penn State’s leaders. And to them, I am grateful for their help in widening and enriching my view on the world. Join me in reflecting on the perspectives of the Penn Staters who have helped us reach where we are now, and who are leading us into the future.

This blog is no longer maintained.